Telling the story from our point of view

Blog Archive

February 07, 2006

The truth about Brokeback Mountain

Brokeback Mountain may be fooling the some people but not all. I enjoyed reading these two commentaries on the movie and wanted to share them with you. The first is from Rev. Tim Wilkins, an exgay minister from Wake Forest, NC. "Why I Won't See Brokeback Mountain"
I will avoid the movie like a slug avoids an overturned saltshaker -- and for the life of me, I cannot understand why any evangelical would see it -- though there appear to be many. But what is more disturbing to me is that many men and women I know with unwanted homosexual attractions are seeing the movie. A reporter from The Christian Post asked my thoughts about the movie and I obliged. My comments as a former homosexual were made from the reviews I had read -- comments which generated numerous emails to me from individuals arguing that I could not make an intelligent comment on a movie I had not seen.
The second commentary is from Sarah Whalen who relocated to Waco, TX after Hurricane Katrina and now writes for the Waco Tribune Herald. Whalen's article Straight cowboys old hat? is a phenomenal essay on homosexuality and its historical decadence.
Brokeback Mountain's homosexual cowboys herd sheep, bond, wrestle, do “the nasty,” then marry heterosexual women and lead lives of quiet desperation broken only by fishing trips where they return to bond, wrestle and do “the nasty.” Critics love this homosexual cowboy flick, so it's won lots of awards. Its director, Ang Lee, accepted his Golden Globe claiming Brokeback “proved the power of movies to change the way we're thinking.”
Or is everything old simply new again?
“I have a ceremony to attend,” a writer wrote, “at dawn tomorrow, in the Quirinal Valley.” What is the occasion? “No need to ask,” the writer prattled on. “A man is marrying another man; quite a small affair.”

“Yes,” the writer continued, “and if only we live long enough, we shall see these things done openly: People will ask to see them reported among the news of the day.”

Juvenal wrote this in 1st century Rome. Two thousand years later, one opens the family newspaper and sees burly men costumed in rawhide vests and cowboy hats exchanging marital vows–no teary, boozing heterosexual wives in sight.

Email me with any anti-Brokeback commentaries, especially from local newspapers you come across. I'll post them here.

No comments: