Telling the story from our point of view

Blog Archive

January 12, 2006

Are you a Native New Yorker?

Okay, so I was listening to XM satellite this morning and they played "Native New Yorker"[lyrics here] by the 70s disco identified group Odyssey.
No, Im not a native New Yorker, I'm a native Texan. Interestingly enough, none of the members of the group which recorded the song were native New Yorkers either. As a matter of fact, all three are foreign born. But hey, just listening to the song made me wanna change my birth certificate and claim to be a native. NNY captures the essence of the world's greatest city and does some savvy name dropping to give it a hometown feel that would make any expatriate stop,take a deep breath and wish for home.

I'm far from being a music critic but to me, the song kinda reminds all of us that tomorrow can be a brighter day than what yesterday was, despite our failures, disappointments and challenges. With that in mind, I guess I am a Native New Yorker. How about you? You should know the score by now, You're a native New Yorker

No comments: