Telling the story from our point of view

Blog Archive

February 01, 2006

If its broke, try and fix it

I need to preface this post with a couple of statements.
1. I don't know Chad Thompson. Well, what I mean is I don't know him personally. However, what Im about to write has little to do with him personally, but a lot to do with what he wrote.

2. I still contend that Brokeback Mountain is a wicked concoction of intentional emotional manipulation. And no, I didn't go to see and have no intentions of viewing it. I lived through that mess for 11 years. No movie is going to tell me anything I don't already know experientially.

With those pleasantries stated, let us begin.

Actually, Im going to let Jerry McClellan of Truth Be Told talk for me. I don't know McClellan either, but after reading his post about Thompson's review of BBM, I decided to take a second look myself.

Says McClellan:

I doubt it necessary to make a full feature film with a star studded cast to convey to others how hard it is to deal with homosexuality. I don't need to witness someone drinking or being drunk to empathize with the plight of alcoholism. While Mr. Thompson seems to make some interesting points in this column, especially regarding the fact that homosexual behavior is a symptom of a deeper problem, he comes off as defending the film at first more so than pointing out the fallicies[sic] within it, only paying lip service to them. The fact that he actually used the term "homophobic" demonstrates to me that he has a far more liberal attitude regarding being gay and seeks to blame outward reactions to an already deviant behavior, rather than the behavior
I can only agree with that. I detest adoption and deployment of the word "homophobia" by Christians. Such individuals to me are naive as to its intentionally hateful meaning. Homosexual activists have manipulated words meanings to such an gruesome extent, I always do research before I repeat any of their lexical introductions. And currently, that's ZERO. To them, "homophobe" or "homophobia" is the immoral equivalent to racist and racism. That's where we ought to say whoa, tonto, hold on a minute! Skin color, an immutable trait is not equal to the varieties of sexual expression which change like the direction of the wind.

That's where I think Thompson buys into the gay victimist theory. His use of the word homophobia to explain the main character's residual problems eschews personal responsibility. Something the gay activist community sorely lacks. Jack and Ennis, --not society-- are fundamentally responsible for the choices they made. Choices always bring consequences, whether good or bad.
Brokeback's view of sexuality is what is broken and that needs to be fixed, not excused.

Related: Broken Art imitates Broken Life

No comments: